Monday, August 16, 2010

Indian/American Extravaganza!!

Aladdin & Jasmine tied the knot! Twice!

This weekend was the Indian-Greek-Italian wedding and it was just as I expected...one of the most interesting and bad-ass weddings that I've ever been to. I think I could have done without all of the Indian food (thank you a million times, Jasmine, for giving us the grilled chicken option at the reception...saved my life!), but at the same time, I may have lost a pound of two throughout the weekend, so it's all good!

So, I was invited with a date since the only people I really knew well were in the wedding party. Naturally, since I'm forever single and all of my dude-friends are married for the most part and/or don't live anywhere near me, I was going to bring Mrs. Corningstone. That little tramp came down with the flu or SARS or something and could barely walk so she decided not to come at the last minute, which totally sucked! Thank God I went to Jazzy's bridal shower where I met some RAD girls to hang with, otherwise I would have been screwed. I felt like a pretty huge asshole anyway since I had to tag along with this other couple, who probably wanted to kick themselves in the rump's by the end of the weekend since I was with them 24/7. Then I had the "what's with the empty seat next to you?" questions, which just rubbed it in even more. Note to self: never go to a wedding alone when you aren't tight with anyone. Okay, I'm exaggerating (sort of), it wasn't that bad and I totally had a BLAST!! Probably more fun that I have had in a long time!

Friday night was the traditional Garba party, which was basically like another reception before the wedding. There were Indian dances that I attempted to do but could not stay on track for the life of me, so that was a good laugh. My personal favorite was the "stick dance." I don't really know if that's what it was really called, but we danced with sticks (in my head, they were light sabers). Aladdin tried to get me going on this one and I completely missed the sticks half the time (totally 3 stooges style). Hilarious. While these dances were going on, I attempted to eat some Indian food. I'd love to tell you what the hell I ate, but I really have no idea. I do know that it was SPICY as S!!! The spiciest food that I can usually handle is a mild buffalo chicken, so these crazy spices were just not doin' it for me. I mean...at least I wasn't too full where I couldn't fit in my next 97 dresses for the weekend, right?

Saturday morning at 9am was the Indian ceremony. This involved Aladdin (no seriously, he was dressed like Aladdin) and his family gathering away from the ceremony. Aladdin is on a horse and his family is dancing around him and making their way down to the ceremony venue. Apparently, this represents the groom and his family coming in from "the other village to meet his bride and her family for the first time ever" since they used to do arranged marriages. Crazy, right? Imagine if you really had an arranged marriage?! Considering the blind dates that people insist on setting me up with, I'd have serious issues if I had to marry these douchers! Two hours later the ceremony ends and lunch was served...all. Indian. I made an executive decision to skip out on this and go take a nap to recharge my batteries. I couldn't handle anymore curry, etc.

What seemed like 4 days later, Jasmine's ceremony started, which was the American part. Now, I don't know if Aladdin's side had never been to one of these before or not, but they clapped after every bridesmaid walked down the aisle. Like, were they concerned that people wouldn't make it?? I had no idea what was going on...I thought maybe these b'maids were doing performances down the aisle and I missed it or something. Very random.

On to the cocktail hour(s) and reception. WOO!! Jasmine had told me ahead of time that they wanted their reception to feel like a Miami night club, but I guess I didn't really take that as literally as I should have. It really was a club scene all night and it was AWESOME!!! Palm trees, couch set up in front of a waterfall, neon lights, and techno music is what I saw/heard when I walked in and was instantly excited. I know it probably sounds if-y in writing, but here is what it looked like:












Bad. Ass.

Their reception was so much fun because they kept the beats pumpin' the entire time. There was no dinner break. People could eat when they want and dance when they want. There were moments when I had a bite on my fork and a good song came on so I dropped everything and bolted right to the dance floor. I really don't think I left the dance floor now that I think about it! There were no slow songs at all, no breaks between songs, no cheesy weddings songs like "We Are Family" or "Celebrate" or the GD cupid shuffle. It was just straight up good shit mixed in with some Indian songs, which were kind of techno-ish as well!

Unfortunately, the reception had to end. It was a long day....so a bunch of us thought it would be best to probably just go to the hotel bar! The happy couple and I chilled there until 2am, which eventually led to me, once again, getting hit on by some guy who was 10yrs older than me and his friend telling me what all of my dating issues are....which eventually led to me telling him to fuck off. I had been drinking since 6:30pm, was already feeling like a loser for being at this wedding dateless, the last thing I wanted to hear was some mofo, who doesn't know me, telling me why I have issues. Just let me finish my vodka in peace dammit!

All in all, it was an amazing weekend and I'm so glad I got to experience all of it!!

Congrats Aladdin and Jazzy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment